May 28, 2022

Mawazo Writing Africa

Writing about the main

Atmiss reels from Shabaab attack on Burundi soldiers’ camp in Somalia

The African Union Transitional Mission in Somalia (Atmiss) is shaken by the aftermath of Tuesday’s al-Shabaab attack that killed 10 Burundian soldiers operating in Sector III and wounded several others.

The attack happened the same week that the US Africa Command (Africom) claimed there had been no civilian deaths from its drone strikes in Somalia.

The Burundian government said on Wednesday that 10 of their soldiers were killed under Atmiss in a raid on their camp in the village of Eel Baraf in Middle Shabelle in Hirshabelle state, some 150km north of Mogadishu. It also said its soldiers killed at least 29 al-Shabaab militants.

Burundian President Evariste Ndayishimiye condemned the attack.

“There are no words strong enough to the terrorist attack against the Burundian Atmiss contingent,” said a presidential statement released on Wednesday.

The attack was strongly condemned by the African Union and the United Nations, as well as the Intergovernmental Authority on Development.

Meanwhile, Africom said that a notable reduction in American use of drone strikes to counter al-Shabaab in Somalia has resulted in fewer reports of civilian casualties in the country. On March 31, 2022, US Africa Command received no new reports on civilian casualties and no open reports from previous quarters have been carried over. No assessments are currently open or under review,” Africom said in a statement.

A February 22 airstrike counterattacked insurgents after they attacked partner forces in a remote location near Duduble , Africom said the statement. It was the second attack during US President Joe Biden’s tenure, after the first in July last year near Galkayo.

When Biden’s administration took office in January last year, it deployed drone strikes outside of active war new boundaries zones that require strikes to gain direct authority from the White House.

Targeted Strikes

The US uses airstrikes to support partner forces in Somalia. Targeted attacks have resulted in the killing of key al-Shabaab leaders. In February 2020, an airstrike killed Bashir Mohamed Qorgab, a senior leader at one of the militia bases involved in operations against Kenya.

In March this year, Somalia announced a joint operation by the Somali National Army and the US Military had killed more than 200 al-Shabaab fighters in drone strikes on a settlement called Hareri Guybadle about 300km north of Mogadishu.

The airstrikes were criticized by a section of Somali citizens, who said the attacks targeted innocent people Lives claimed.

In response to these allegations, Africom began publishing quarterly reports in April 2020 assessing civilian casualties following each airstrike in the country.

The command reported that on April 17, February 2020, two civilians were injured after a drone attack on the militia, another three in April 2020 and three in January last year.

“In every airstrike, we lead a thorough pre-strike assessment to reduce the likelihood of civilian damage. Unfortunately, our Jan. 1 airstrike, designed to protect the newly deployed US troops and to accurately hit its intended target, also likely injured three nearby civilians,” General Townsend said after the assessment report was released .

On January 27, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin directed the Undersecretary for Defense Policy to present an action plan for civilian damage control and response by April 27, following reports that the use of airstrikes of the country against the Islamic State in Syria in 2018 in the indiscriminate killing of civilians.

Africom commander Gen Townsend said protecting innocent civilians remains an essential part of the command’s operations.< /p>

In the past, the human rights groups Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch published the results of the investigation Africom’s investigations were questioned, saying they were insufficient and did not result in accountability.

The attack occurred the same week that US Africa Command (Afrocom) claimed that it had not done so civilian deaths from US drone strikes in Somalia, meaning airstrikes have fallen on militants.

The Burundian government said Wednesday that 10 of its ATMISS soldiers were killed in a raid at its camp in the Village of Eel Baraf in Middle Shabelle in the state of Hirshabelle, about 150 km north of the Somali capital Mogadishu. It also said its soldiers killed at least 29 Shabaab militants.

Burundian President Evariste Ndayishimiye condemned the attack on his Twitter profile.

“There are no words that are strong are enough to condemn the attack “Terrorist attack against the Burundian contingent of ATMIS,” said a presidential statement released on Wednesday.

The attack was supported by the African Union, the UN and the Strongly condemned the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (Igad).

Africom said a notable decrease in US use of drone strikes to counter al-Shabaab in Somalia has led to a decrease in reports of civilian casualties in the country.

p>

“During the most recent quarterly civilian casualty assessment reporting period ended March 31, 2022, US Africa Command received no new civilian casualty reports, and no open reports were received from previous ones n quarters. No assessments are currently open or under review,” the command said in a statement.

The February 22 airstrike was a counterattack on insurgents after they attacked partner forces in a remote location near Duduble Africom said in a statement.

It was also the second attack during US President Joe Biden’s tenure in the coming months after the first in July last year, near Galkayo in Somalia took place.

When Biden’s US administration took office last January, it imposed new limits on drone strikes outside of active war zones, requiring drone strikes to receive direct approval from the White House.

The United States deploys airstrikes in support of its partner forces Deployed to Somalia on a self-defense basis, aiming to degrade and eliminate al-Shabaab elements in the country.

The ge Targeted attacks have resulted in the killing of key al-Shabaab leaders, as in February 2020 when an airstrike killed Bashir Mohamed Qorgab, a le He was in charge of one of the militia’s bases and was also involved in operations against Kenya.

In March of this year, the Somali government announced that a joint operation by the Somali National Army and the US military had laid claim to Kenya involving more than 200 al-Shabaab fighters in drone strikes on a settlement called Hareri Guybadle about 300 kilometers away north of Mogadishu.

The airstrikes did not go unchallenged, however, by some Somali citizens who did so, claiming that some acted indiscriminately and claimed innocent lives.

In response to these allegations, in April 2020, Africom began publishing quarterly reports assessing civilian casualties after each conducted in Somalia n Airstrike.

The command reported that two civilians were injured after a drone strike on the militia on February 17, 2020, another three in April 2020 and another three in January last year.

“With every air strike we conduct a Thoro Ugh pre-strike assessment to reduce the likelihood of civilian damage. Unfortunately, our Jan. 1 airstrike, designed to protect repositioning US troops and accurately hit the intended target, also likely injured three nearby civilians,” Gen. Townsend said after the assessment report was released.

On January 27, US Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III issued a memorandum directing the Undersecretary of Defense Policy to submit a civilian mitigation and response plan by April 27 after reports that the country used air warfare against the Islamic State in Syria in 2018 may have resulted in the indiscriminate killing of civilians.

The action plan is expected to have an impact on Africom’s behavior in Somalia. Africom Commander General Stephen Townsend reiterated that protecting innocent civilians remains an essential part of the Command’s operations as it promotes a safer and more stable Africa.

“We have a moral obligation to ensure that our processes do everything we can to defuse civilians,” he said.

In the past, human rights groups Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have challenged the findings of Africom’s investigations, claiming that they were inadequate and too no accountability.