May 28, 2022

Mawazo Writing Africa

Writing about the main

AU, UN condemn Shabaab attack as militants claim they killed a ‘huge’ number

The United Nations and the African Union condemned the Shabaab attack on peacekeepers in Somalia on Tuesday, despite the militant group claiming to have killed more people than was officially reported.

Militants attacked on Tuesday provided shelter at an AU base to Burundi peacekeepers near Eel Baraf, a village about 160 kilometers northeast of the capital Mogadishu.

The Burundian government said on Wednesday that 10 soldiers from the African Transitional Mission Union in Somalia (ATMIS) camps were killed in the raid, but militants suspect the number of peacekeepers killed is much higher than the Burundian government reports.

The EastAfrican

em> could not independently confirm the number of people killed in the attack.

Burundi officially said 10 soldiers were killed and dozens injured, adding that its troops also said at least 29 Shabaab militants killed.

Burundian President Evariste Ndayishimiye condemned the attack on his Twitter page.

“There are no words strong enough to describe the terrorist attack to condemn the Burundian contingent of ATMIS,” the president’s statement said on Wednesday’s 1081st session. Said the attack on sector 5 of ATMIS was “barbaric and cowardly”.

“[The] Council stressed “that the AU remains committed to working with the federal government of Somalia to eliminate the al-Shabaab threat and continue to promote effective peace, security and stability in Somalia,” it said in a statement.

” [The] Council underlined the importance of preserving the achievements made so far in Somalia as well as the current momentum in the fight against Al-Shabaab by increasing the capacities of ATMIS, including by providing the Mission with all necessary human, material, technical and f financial resources, including responders and multipliers, to enable it to carry out its mandate more effectively. ”

It came as reports indicated that the attack by al-Shabaab fighters began with a suicide bombing, followed by an attack by fighters from different directions in the early hours of Tuesday.

The camp, part of Sector 5 of ATMIS, had fallen under the control of al-Qaeda-affiliated jihadists and the group later ordered locals in the village of Eel Baraf to enter the camp to loot after troops after the ambush had been cleared.

Planes were later brought into the camp as reinforcements to support ground forces from ATMIS and the Somali National Army.

The United Nations, the African Union and the Federal Government of Somalia all have condemned the Shabaab attack, calling it “cowardly”.

AU Commission Chair Moussa Faki Mahamat issued a statement on Wednesday condemning the attack and paying tribute to Burundians, her life and helped bring peace and stability to Somalia.

“The Chair extends his sincere condolences to the bereaved, the Government and the people of the Republic of Burundi and wishes a speedy recovery to those injured in the attack .

“I join with all of Africa that has just lost sons and daughters who fell on the field of honor to comfort the hard-hit families.”

The Speaker Intergovernmental Agency for Development (IGAD) Executive Director Nur Mohamud Sheikh condemned the attack on AU peacekeeping forces in Somalia in a Twitter post. Workneh Gebeyehu, stating, “This criminal act will not deter the determination of IGAD and its partners to support the people of Somalia in their quest for lasting peace and stability.”

ATMIS has the mission of African Union in Somalia (AMISOM), which expired at the end of March 2022.