Sudan’s main civilian pro-democracy lobby on Friday issued five conditions for resuming talks with the ruling junta, reiterating its constant call for the military to stay out of government.< /p>
Following Thursday’s meeting with officials from Sudan’s Sovereignty Council — the military body in charge of the government — the civilian group Forces for Freedom and Change, which represents the Central Committee, said they need reassurance that the military will let the civilians rule.
Sudan has been in chaos since the junta took power on October 25 last year and overthrew Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok’s interim government. But the committee is calling for a return to the pre-coup arrangement, a handover of power to civilians, unification and reform of the military and its removal from political life, and the end of the current course of the tripartite dialogue mechanism, which consists of the United Nations, African Union and Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD).
The committee includes a coalition of civil groups who helped overthrow Omar al-Bashir through protests in 2019, before a transitional government was formed. The junta led by Lt. Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan dissolved the government, arguing that it had fallen out. This delayed the interim project, which was originally scheduled to last 30 months from August 2019.
But the civilian groups argue that only civilians need the government and all talks about the establishment of the interim administration based on this agreement.
The meeting came at the request of Molly Phee, the US Deputy Secretary of State, who has been holding talks since June 5 in Khartoum to address the deepening crisis of the country, which has been going on for more than seven months.
The Saudi embassy in Khartoum confirmed on Friday that the meeting, which also included the Sudanese military component and the Central Council of the Forces of freedom and change, mediated by Saudi America, exchange ideas on how to resolve the current crisis and achieve a political process leading to a democratic transition.
< p class="align--justify"> The Saudi Embassy said the meeting n It is not a substitute for the tripartite mechanism and reflects support for all efforts to build trust between the parties.
The Embassy also expressed its appreciation for the commitment of both parties to their country’s interest and dialogue with other stakeholders. “We thank the participants for their open views and willingness to end the political crisis and bring about peace in Sudan.”
US-Chargé d’Affaires in Khartoum, Ms. Lucy Tamlyn said the meeting exchanged views between the military component and the civilian population to resolve the crisis.
“We welcome the commitment and willingness of the Parties to end the political crisis,” she added, noting that the meeting is not a substitute for the mechanism of the United Nations, African Union and IGAD.
Forces for Freedom and Change explained that the meeting, which took place at the residence of the Saudi Ambassador in Khartoum, discussed the termination of the October 25 proceedings and all its consequences; transfer of power to civilians; immediate implementation to create a democratic climate; and halting the procedures of the tripartite force-assembling mechanism in support of the former regime’s procedures and elements in the political process.
The statement indicated that the meeting took place after the Freedom and Change leadership declined to attend Wednesday’s opening meeting of the dialogue.
He explained that the Forces of Freedom and Change took three means to address the actions of the October 25, including the people’s revolution, international and regional solidarity, and a political solution leading to the transfer of power to civilians.
The absence of The forces of freedom and of change and other major revolutionary forces, such as the gathering of professionals and resistance committees, of the inaugural session of the Sudanese Dialogue sponsored by the tripartite mechanism left doubts about the possibility ith its success, only the military part and a group of parties and small components that supported the measures announced by the President of the Sudan Sovereignty Council, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, attended.
The tripartite mechanism confirmed that It is not possible for the dialogue to successfully reach an agreement to resolve the crisis as long as civil groups continue to boycott joint meetings.
On the other hand, the Sudanese The Professionals Association, one of the main organizations leading the current movement on the Sudanese streets reiterated its commitment to escalating street protests and not negotiating with the military, warning against forming another “lame partnership”.
< p class="align--justify">Demonstrations against the measures taken by Al-Burhan, organized by the Sudanese Resistance Committees and other revolutionary forces, continued in Khartoum and a number of other cities in the country, with the slogan “No negotiations with the army ‘ was raised. Demand for “complete civil rule”.