Sudanese security forces fired tear gas on Thursday at anti-coup protesters who remained on the streets of northern Khartoum the day after the death of 15 people, witnesses said.
manned dozens of protesters makeshift barricades that had erected the previous day in the northern districts of the capital in protest of the widely condemned military takeover last month.
Top General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan – de facto leader of Sudan since the ousting of President Omar al-Bashir in April 2019 – the civilian leadership imprisoned and declared a state of emergency on October 25th.
The move turned Sudan’s fragile transition to full civil rule on its head and resulted in widespread international condemnation and a flood of punitive measures and cuts in aid.
“We condemn violence against peaceful demonstrators and demand that people be respected and protected right in Sudan, “said the US State Department’s Bureau of African Affairs on Twitter.
Burhan insists that the military’s move was” not “a coup” but a move to “fix” it The process of transition “to civil rule.
On Wednesday, thousands took to the streets in Khartoum and other cities, but were hit by the deadliest raid since the coup.
At least, according to doctors 15 people were killed on Wednesday alone, mostly from northern Khartoum, bringing the number of demonstrators to 39 in recent weeks Telephone lines throughout Sudan.
The telephone lines were restored by Thursday morning, but internet services remained largely interrupted.
Bridges connecting the capital with its neighboring cities were reopened and the public transport network HR resumed flowing through many streets in Khartoum.
Security forces were seen removing makeshift brick and stone barricades from some streets in eastern and northern Khartoum, an AFP correspondent said.