May 27, 2022

Mawazo Writing Africa

Writing about the main

15 month-old twins die after candle used during power failure burns shack

The charred bodies of 15-month-old twins have been identified after they died in a cabin fire in Windmill Park, Boksburg.

Ekurhuleni Civil Protection and Emergency Management spokesman William Ntladi, said they were pronounced dead at the scene Wednesday night.

Ntladi said Vosloorus firefighters were on the scene immediately after being called at 7:59 p.m.

“Upon arrival the cabin in the backyard was on fire. The population desperately tried to put out the fire with buckets.”

Ntladi said a search and rescue mission was conducted and the bodies were recovered.

“According to information at the scene left the mother needs to burn a candle inside the cottage while she takes care of them outside. The tragedy occurred during a power outage at Windmill Park,” he said.

Ntladi said the crime scene was officially handed over to the police.

Support independent journalism by subscribing to the Sunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.