Friday marks a year since the July riots that shook SA and saw rioting and looting in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.
At that time in the last Year was KwaZulu -Natal thrown into chaos with rioting and looting that spread to Gauteng leaving 354 dead, R50 billion in damage, more than 150,000 jobs lost and zero convictions.
< span>The protests followed the 15-month incarceration of former President Jacob Zuma for contempt of court after he defied a Constitutional Court order to appear before the state inquest.
Here are five names that took center stage during the riots:
Former President Zuma
< span>What began as protests against Zuma’s detention soon turned into rioting, looting and violence.
Zuma turned himself in, after being found guilty of contempt of court for refusing to appear before the Zondo Commission.
He was incarcerated at Estcourt Correctional Center and his incarceration unleashed destructive and coordinated events that threatened to tear the country apart.
At the time of his arrest, Department of Correctional Services officials said Zuma was not receiving preferential treatment at the facility .
“He will be treated like any other offender in our facility.
< p>“It is important to note that we as a department, take full responsibility as soon as an individual is transferred to our facility. Security arrangements for the former president are the responsibility of the ministry, not the police or security services,” read here before he was later released on medical parole. span>
At the height of the unrest in July was the Daughter of former President accused of inciting violence and mobilizing his supporters to protest his arrest.
She took to Twitter to encourage people to protest his arrest. She has not distanced herself from the posts.
Twitter users have reported Zuma-Sambudla for sharing clips of the violent protests and looting in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng to her account has.
The social media company took action against them, saying the complaints against the clips could be filed under “terrorism /violent extremism.”
Jacob Zuma Foundation spokesman Mzwanele Manyisaid,any investigation of Zuma- Sambudla is said to be malicious.
“You mustn’t even try that. It’s absolute nonsense. people are on the streets. Most of them are not on Twitter. They don’t even know what Twitter is,” he said.
“There’s absolutely no connection between what she tweets and what’s happening. Trying to associate it with her is another pursuit of the Zuma family.”
Nhlanhla ‘Lux’ Dlamini
The leader of Operation Dudula rose to prominence when he was among those defending a shopping center in Soweto during the riots.
As a member of the Soweto Parliament, Dlamini helped protect the Maponya Shopping Center from looting and vandalism.
As he discussed why he decided to help guard the mall, said Dlamini President Cyril Ramaphosa defending the community’s economy.
“For some of us it’s been six days of hell, sleepless nights. The President is here and people are coming out of their homes. Where were they when we were protecting these malls? These are people our age. They take guns and fire them in the air, but those guns cannot come and defend our township economy,” said Dlamini.
Mbuso Moloi < /strong>
The infamous ‘Mercedes Benz looter’ made headlines after he was caught on camera allegedly looting a Woolworths store in Durban. He faces charges of theft and public violence.
A now viral video showed him picking up a full shopping basket and placing it in his car.
Speaking to TimesLIVE, Moloi said he wasn’t looting and the incident was taken out of context.
Moloi appeared before in Durban Magistrates’ Court in May and was expected to plead guilty to charges including theft, trespassing and operating an unregistered vehicle.
But his attorney withdrew his representation back , said his mandate had ended. He was the second attorney hired by Moloi on the case.
Moloi said he was having financial problems and was going to legal aid for a means test. span>< /p>
San Pablo Couch
The R70,000 blue couch was stolen when a upscale furniture store in Springfield was looted.
The couch was the subject of a meme when it was photographed in an informal settlement hours after it was stolen from the Leather Gallery warehouse.
After it was stolen, the owners of the furniture store offered a reward for information about the couch.
The police von Sydenham seized the couch on July 23 and it was displayed during the festive period at Menlyn Park shopping center in Gauteng.
Leather Gallery owner Terry Parry said the Sunday Time s that the couch would be donated to Wylie House Child and Wylie House Child Youth Care Centre, a girls’ home in Durban.
“My introduction to W ylie House was written about 40 years ago, when a social worker friend lived in the big old house that has now been converted into a house for the girls and a hostel for social workers. The work of these special social workers is immeasurable as they integrate broken girls into a safe haven and into school,” Parry said come home from school when they greet or hug their supervisors, chatting happily about their school day and showing their drawings, paintings and school notes. The girls are given love, security and safe borders.
“At a time of such an escalating crisis of abuse of women and children in our country, this home is absolutely necessary. Unfortunately, it can only accommodate a few girls who are lucky enough to have escaped intolerable and often life-threatening situations,” she said.
Support independent journalism by subscribing to theSunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.