At least one body has been recovered after KwaZulu-Natal was hit by heavy rains over the weekend for the second time in two months.
Prime Minister Sihle Zikalala visited Umdloti, north of Durban, on Monday for an assessment Flood damage.
Torrential downpours killed nearly 450 people, left thousands homeless and caused infrastructure damage estimated at billions of rand.
Zikalala was funded by MEC Peggy Nkonyeni, MEC for Cooperative Administration and Traditional Affairs, Sipho Hlomuka, and Mxolisi Kaunda, Mayor of eThekwini.
The body was recovered in Inanda and the areas hardest hit by the floods north and south of Durban .
“We are grateful that no one died in these areas. Although we received a body at the Phoenix morgue that could be attributed to these floods,” Zikalala said.
He offered his sympathy to the residents of uMdloti, where some houses were washed away, and acknowledged that many people were still homeless from last month’s floods.
“We know that some people are still living in makeshift shelters. Therefore, the Human Settlements Department is with us to ensure these people are properly accommodated.”
Construction of houses for the affected people is planned.
Main roads have been damaged , including the M4 which was closed following the April floods.
” The road between La Mercy and Seatide has been badly damaged and it is impossible to use this road today [Monday]. We are working working to fill in the hole or gap that has been eroded and making sure it will be reopened by the end of today or tomorrow,” Zikalala said.
The Ministry of Transport would take care of repairing the road take care of it.
They would also focus on the Umdloti/La Mercy bridge.
“Work to repair the bridge has started, but it could be another month before it is finished properly repaired.”
The provincial government also has a bridge e identified between Tongaat and Zimbali that suffered structural damage but would likely take up to six months to repair.
Many property owners were affected Bluff, south of Durban.
” Fortunately, Toyota and other companies remained untouched. We [say] fortunately because they suffered severe damage [in the previous floods] that will cost a lot of money to repair,” Zikalala said.
He confirmed that the reconstruction process would go ahead as originally planned , but there would be additional responsibilities.
“We already have teams assessing the damage in each area will be included in [a] report that we have already compiled and submitted to the national government.”
Support independent journalism by subscribing to The Sunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.