The first day of school on Wednesday was not a memorable one for nearly 800 students in Mpumalanga, who were forced to resume classes in mobile classrooms instead of their new school at 150 feet. < / p>
Citing safety concerns, the parent representatives on the governing body of Yinhle Lentfo Elementary School in Masoyi, Mpumalanga, refused to allow the students to move into the new premises until the thick bush on the edge of the property had been cleared.
Clement Banele, chairman of the governing body, said they raised their concerns to the provincial education ministry in November.
At the time, Mpumalanga was Education Department spokesman Jasper Zwane said it would be safe to move students to the new facility when schools reopen in January.
Banele said there was a decision at a government meeting It was agreed on Tuesday that the students are only allowed to move into the new buildings when the bush has been cleared and a fence has been erected.
“Officials for public works and the infrastructure sector of the department and the school management will meet with the governing body next Thursday. “
Last Friday, the department asked the headmistress to send photos of the new school and was told that she has to deal with the problem of the bush.
“She was told to use the parenting assistants and general assistants to clear the bush, and money from the maintenance budget The school needs to be used. ”
Banele said the school had limited resources and a bulldozer would be required to clear the bush.
“We will meet the parents after the meeting next Thursday to share their views on this topic. “
Zwane did not respond to media inquiries at the time of publication.
All Gauteng Students will be placed by the end of March: Lesufi
In the meantime, Gauteng Education MEC Pa nyaza Lesufi said on Wednesday that even less than 700 students have to be placed.
“Last year we had almost 35,000 students who were not placed. We managed to place them by the end of March, “he said.
” I want to assure parents that the 700 that we have to place as the department, that we make, obligation to place them before the end of January. “
Parents preferred certain schools” and so we clog the system with these specific schools “. < / p>
“We build beautiful schools in the townships, but there is a mentality that the townships are bad and the former Model C schools are good. The reality is that there is no other trained teacher. “
Lesufi said it was a struggle to change people’s mindsets that” Education in townships is quality education can be “.
” It’s a huge task to change the mentality of people who want to apply to a particular school in the city just because they are in that school uniform Love school. “
Delayed stationery for Eastern Cape students
When schools reopen for Eastern Cape students next Wednesday , tens of thousands will be receiving their stationery late due to budget constraints.
Thembani Mtyida, Acting Deputy Director General for Institutional Operations Management at the Eastern Cape Department of Education, said in a January 12 circular that the Schools were asked to use some of the stationery that were made available last year.
From January 12th to 25th, a total of 1,614 schools will receive their stationery, while 3,196 schools will receive their stationery s later in January and February.
Textbooks are available between March and Delivered to all schools in May.
Mtyida said funds for student and teacher support materials were made available in December following discussions with the Ministry of Basic Education and the state treasury to address the budget deficit
“That meant the procurement processes could only be resumed at this point, as some of the main actors were already in the December vacation and the department was fully and effectively in January 2022 processes. ”
The available budget meant that the department could not afford provide all textbooks that are nec e required.
New schools and new grades will be provided with textbooks, while 12th grade students will be provided with additional textbooks.
< Responding to the textbook problem, Jaco Deacon, CEO of the Federation of Governing Bodies of SA Schools (Fedsas), said: “We condemn this poor planning and demand consequences for the leadership in the province. We cannot allow adults in high-paying positions to play with the future of students in the province.
“Where is the oversight of the provincial government and the national ministry?
“How can you tell the students that they have to return to school in January but only get textbooks between March and May? That is unacceptable and the minister must intervene immediately. ”