Everything was business as usual in most parts of KwaZulu-Natal, despite calls for a nationwide shutdown on Friday.
Imtiaz Syed, Chair of eThekwini Secure and Chair of eThekwini’s Community Policing Forum, added to the thwarting of suspected looters in the Hammarsdale area outside Pietermaritzburg there were some incidents in the Durban CBD Metro on Thursday evening [Police] and SAPS and security forces were on standby and they got it all fast on Friday morning stopped.
“They stood out of their dormitories and yelled until about 3 a.m. to 4 p.m. Reports on our Zello channel [an electronic security app] around 4am showed that all the freeways to the south and north were open and things were going on as usual in the Warwick Road area where taxis [run].”
Syed attributed this to “the mobilization of law enforcement and security agencies that diluted all incidents at an early stage”.
He said this was important as it signaled the power of communities to working with the state and security services to combat crime and security threats.
When TimesLIVE visited menswear boutique Markhams, a window was smashed but entry was denied.
“The people who they tried to loot, abandoned their plans early in the morning,” said an employee who asked not to be identified.
He said the store was burgled last month.
Near XS Denim store, the Designerk suffering, would-be criminals also foiled their plans by 3am on Friday.
“This is a high risk area because on thi s road we have tons of apartments and abandoned buildings. So we never got to know who was behind all this,” said store manager Mfana Miya.
He said they suffered a major setback during the July riots, in which three of their CBD stores were completely ransacked been.
“We had to sit at home for well over three months. It’s something that dented our pockets.” He appealed to the public to refrain from such criminal acts.
Miya said the alarm system was a lifesaver, as was a heavy police presence.
< p>Meanwhile, KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala met representatives of the SA National Taxi Council (Santaco) with MEC of Transport Peggy Nkonyeni and her counterpart for Economic Development and Environmental Affairs Ravi Pillay on Friday.
The meeting came amid calls for a nationwide shutdown to protest the rise in fuel prices and the impact it is having on consumers, particularly the taxi industry.
At the meeting, Santaco representative Boy Zondi explained his decision not to participate in the shutdown.
” The province has endured the crippling challenges brought on by Covid-19, the unrest of last July and the recurring overs flooding,” Zondi said.
He added, “As responsible citizens, we have chosen to engage the government and ask for intervention to address the impact of fuel increases negatively affecting the industry.”
Zikalala said the provincial government would seek the support of state-owned Ithala Bank to draft a package for the taxi industry.
Support independent journalism by supporting the Sunday Times subscribe to. Only 20 R for the first month.