The contradictions in the South African government continue after the deadly riots in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng. On Tuesday, July 20, Police Minister Bheki Cele denied that the State Security Service had provided the police with information before the violence began, as they did last week.
CELE AND DLODLO contradict each other
Speaking to Parliament’s Joint Standing Committee on Police on Tuesday, Cele said he had never seen any intelligence documents warning of protests, looting and violence.
Last week, State Security Minister Ayanda Dlodlo said her department had provided the police with “appropriate” information before the violence broke out. “This information that we received, that we analyzed and packaged, was handed over to the police,” said Dlodlo.
However, Cele denied receiving such information – which he described as “the” product ” – and informed the committee that if such information were passed on to the police, it would have been sent directly to him first.
“It would have to come upon me and I would pass it on to the national authority Police Commissioner” said Cele. “I want to repeat here, I’ve never seen this product before.” The police minister asked MPs to “check his signature on the alleged intelligence information and claim that he never received such documents.
Dlodlo did not attend Tuesday’s meeting, but she said last week the media – before Cele – that if South Africa’s intelligence structures had not collected and provided information, the country would have experienced even worse violence.
“Right from the start, before the violence flared up, we have security between the police and the state Information exchanged, ”said Dlodlo according to TimesLive . From the very first day it all started, we shared information with the police. ”
Cele also said that police crime protection does not routinely deal with state affairs and focus on crimes such as money robberies and state security information will only be followed up if shared with them.
BACK AND FURTHER
In his national address, President Cyril Ramaphosa said that what happened in KZN and Gauteng, a failed uprising. Since then, a number of mixed messages have been sent by ministers in his cabinet.
On Sunday, Defense Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula said there was no evidence that the riots were a failed uprising. “We don’t see any signs of a coup or an uprising, but rather a creeping counter-revolution in the form of crime and brawls,” said the Defense Minister.
“This was designed to sow the seeds of division in the country, “said Mapisa-Nqakula.
The Minister of the Presidency, Khumbuzo Ntshaveni, hit back, telling the media that the Defense Minister’s remarks were not Backed by facts from law enforcement agencies. Mapisa-Nqakula later told eNCA that she did not want to contradict the president.
“These contradicting messages between the presidency and the security cluster are more than a communication crisis,” said DA shadow minister of the Presidency, Solly Malatsi. “They symbolize the incoherent handling of the government’s reaction to the violent outbreaks in KZN and Gauteng.”