Oct 3, 2022

Mawazo Writing Africa

Writing about the main

Court shows mercy to online dating scammer who took advantage of ‘lover’

A man involved in an online dating scam was sentenced on Monday to a seven-year prison sentence, fully suspended, on charges of fraud and racketeering.

The Alexandra District Court handed it down Verdict against Chinedu Jonathan Madueka He pleaded guilty to extorting $800 from a male – whose identity cannot be revealed – whom he met on an online dating site.

Madueka was born on Arrested 14 May.

“The applicant was under the impression that he was with a woman since Madueka was pretending to be Italian,” said National Prosecutor’s Office spokeswoman Phindi Mjonondwane.< /p>

She said the relationship escalated to a point where the defendant requested an exchange of nude photos and videos.

“The complainant undertook, and after Madueka obtained the complainant’s pictures had received , he revealed his gender and demanded payment, while threatening to post the nude photos on social media platforms,” ​​Mjonondwane said.

p>

Prosecutor Lufuno Godfrey Maphiri argued that the The defendant misrepresented himself and took advantage of the applicant’s feelings. He asked the court to send a strong message that online fraud against innocent and unsuspecting individuals will not be tolerated.

“The applicant was satisfied that Madueka pleaded guilty and returned the money extorted from him .” said Mjonondwane.

Support independent journalism by subscribing to theSunday Times. Only 20R for the first month.

Play videoBiden sees opportunity for rational GOP approach to gunsPresident Joe Biden says the “Second Amendment was never absolute” and that after the Texas elementary school shooting, there may be bipartisan support to tighten restrictions on the type of high-powered weapons used by the shooter. (May 30)Spectators storm the pitch as Saint-Etienne dismountsAn hour agoAfghan initiative aims to transform the war-torn School system to be renewed 2 hours agoCan the “status quo” of Jerusalem’s Old City be preserved? | In S2 hours agoClashes between Armenian police and anti-government protesters2 hours ago

< h3>READ MORE:

Zandile Mafe, Parliament arsonist, fails after five months with new bail request

“After careful consideration, I will place the following order: the Motion dismissed,” said Judge Daniel Thulare. NEWS 7 hours ago

Bara surgeries canceled due to lack of clean linen – DA’s Bloom

A shortage of clean linen at Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital in Soweto has allegedly led to cancellations of planned surgeries in the past…NEWS 1 day ago

Joburg arsonist victim dies in hospital

Elderly Houghton resident Risto Andjelopolj died in hospital after being attacked and locked in his home before it was set on fire last month. NEWS 4 days ago

Deploy teams to combat vandalism and theft of essential infrastructure, says Cele

MOST READ

  1. Buthelezi ‘unhappy’ as Zulu king digs palace Unisa department on NoticeNEWS
  2. EXCLUSIVE | Hillary Gardee’s alleged killer was ‘tortured’ to implicate EFF’s… SOUTH AFRICA
  3. Unisa VC in hot water over R72m laptop planNEWS

RECENT VIDEOS

“We will set up squatter camps outside politicians’ homes”: Nhlanhla LuxKhayelitsha religious leaders pray for peace after spate of mass shootings

Read more on the SA government website Online coronavirus portalor use the public 24-hour hotline: 0800 029 999

MAIN MENU< /strong>