Jan 25, 2022

Mawazo Writing Africa

Writing about the main

DA in Gauteng laments schooling delays for unplaced pupils, as MEC Lesufi apologises

Prosecutors in Gauteng are concerned about the number of students in the province who have not yet entered schools.

Inland provinces, including Gauteng, started the 2022 academic year on Wednesday, but this was not without frustration for parents whose children are still not accommodated.

DA Shadow Formation MEC Khume Ramulifho attributed the deficit to the Ministry of Infrastructure Development’s failure to build more schools on time, even though there was a sufficient one Budget.

Ramulifho said prosecutors would write to Gauteng Prime Minister David Makhura to ask him to withdraw school infrastructure projects from the department.

< p> “ This denies our learners the opportunity to learn and to have access to a quality education that enables them to either continue to study after graduation or to do a job to seek employment, “said Ramulifho.

The party also called on the Provincial Ministry of Education to review its system to allow parents to choose ice cream when choosing schools for their parents Children.

“The Department of Education needs to review the online admissions system to make sure it guarantees parenting choice. The current system places children far away from their parents’ home and workplace, ”said Ramulifho.

Lesufi clears the backlog

MEC Panyaza Lesufi said on Wednesday that the department is working around the clock to ensure the placement of 700 students.

“I would like to assure parents that we are accommodating 700 students have to. As a department, we have given a firm promise to place them before the end of January. “

Last year more than 35,000 children remained in suspense and were only fully accommodated in March. < / span>

Lesufi said the backlog was not due to a lack of schools, but rather to the parents’ school preferences and the migration to Gauteng.

“The reality is that there are certain schools that parents prefer and so the system is clogging those particular schools … We have a phenomenon called ‘choice’ and we also have something beyond our control, at hundreds and hundreds of learners prefer to come to Gauteng to study, “said Lesufi.

‘Nothing wrong with the system’

Elementary Education Minister Angie Motshekga said there was nothing wrong with the online system that has been in place since 2016.

She said the department would make sure Children are accommodated, and urged parents to have their children placed wherever there is space.

“We know it cannot be comforting for parents when other children go to school, while your child is not yet housed. According to the law, we are responsible and we will do so. However, we urge parents to work with the provinces to allow them to place students where there is space, “she said.