Oct 21, 2021

Mawazo Writing Africa

Writing about the main

Durban Church Raging Fire: Watch Blaze destroy chapel

A Durban church on the corner of Tighard Avenue and Jan Smuts Highway in Mayville, Durban was razed to the ground on Sunday evening.

Members of eThekwini Fire and Rescue, who were alerted to the blaze by neighbours of the Durban church, responded to the scene to fight the fire.

Kyle van Reenen of Emer-G-Med told local newspaper, The Berea Mail, that ethekwini Fire services had attended and managed to extinguish the blaze.

This video of the Durban church ablaze has been circulated on social media.

Van Reenen told the newspaper that the cause of the fire at the small Durban church was unknown. He said no injuries had been reported.

The Durban church fire is the latest of several fires that have broken out across the city in recent weeks.

On May 10 Durban residents awoke to two fire reports across the city.

eThekwini Fire Services fought a rraging blaze that had broken out in a building in Brickfield Road in Overport.

Marshall Security community support spokesperson Andreas Mathios said at the time that the the local security company had received multiple reports of a fire in the Overport area. He said the blaze had broke out in a warehouse early in the morning.

He said that multiple fire engines had arrived at the scene to assist with fighting the blaze.

Mathios said at the time that the cause of the fire was unknown. However, he said that the fire damage was “extensive and expected to run into millions of Rands”

He said there were no reports of fatalities at the scene of the incident.

“Marshall security control room received multiple reports of the smoke and dispatched the necessary first responders to the scene,” he said.

Earlier in the morning there were reports of a service delivery protest in Isipingo Rail area where protesting residents blocked Old Main Road with burning tyres.

eThekwini Fire Services, metro police and members of the SAPS had responded to the scene of the service delivery protest which had blocked traffic from travelling along old main Road during rush hour. Police and fire fighters doused the flames and cleared the roadway of the rubble and tyres.