A 17-year-old who survived the tragedy at the Enyobeni Tavern said she “fainted for three hours and when I woke up I could hear a man saying I would be thrown to the dead must”.
The teenager recalled collapsing while trying unsuccessfully to resuscitate her two friends, who finally died in the early hours of Sunday morning atthe tavern in Scenery Park died in her arms in East London.
She said someguests triedmouth-to-mouth resuscitation whenPeople in the tavern collapsed.
The teenager , from Nompumelelo, claimed the drama happened when bouncers closed the door and a group of teenagers tried to get out while others made their way forced into the house.
“We were coming from above, aiming down for the exit when chaos broke out,” the survivor said during one Radio interviewson Monday.
“More people coming from above fell on us as we tried to force our way out the exi not down while others trying to get in.”
The victim claimed a gas-like substance was sprayed as the chaos unfolded.
There were hundreds of people tightly packed Space. “It was difficult to breathe, it was hot,” she told Friends,the 17-year-old passed out.
“I didn’t wake up for three hours. It was like I had already died, I had given up.
“People from above pushed out and ran over those who had collapsed, including myself, and I noticed that I was bruised , when I regained consciousness.”
The alleged doorman closed the door after the gas-like substance was sprayed. The survivor said that before the chaos, there wasn’t a fight in the tavern.
“Everything was fine,” she said, adding that guests eventually had freeAlcohol and food were served.
Her parents did not know that she had gone to the tavern.
“I asked a lady who I think that she was related to the owner, next to me to give me a phone so I could call my parents and let them knowwhat happened.
,” asked the lady my age and i told her. She asked me how I found out about the event and I told herI saw a trending post on social media. When I asked for water, she said I should have Savanna instead.”
Five bodies from the tragedy have not yet been identified, the Eastern Cape Health Department said on Monday.
The Department confirmed the death toll remained at 21.
Support independent journalism by using theSubscribe to Sunday times. Only 20 R for the first month.