Sep 20, 2021

Mawazo Writing Africa

Writing about the main

‘Filthy’ East London creche closed after two babies die

Grief and mystery surround the deaths of two babies in East London in one day – and within hours – in an unregistered day care center in Southernwood.

Two families call for answers after the babies Ezam Makhabane in old age five months and Kwahlelwa Ndongeni died at six months after she was in daycare and hospitalized last Tuesday.

Provincial Health Director Dr. Rolene Wagner said the babies were in Frere on arrival. Declared dead hospital.

The families said the babies died in the crib sometime between noon and afternoon.

No ambulances were called and the owner of the crib called the parents failed to notify them of the death, the families said.

Mzukisi Solani, spokesman for the Eastern Cape Department of Social Development, said the unregistered crèche was closed on Wednesday after social workers allegedly opened it found dirty and unable to find an educational program.

They recommended closure as the place posed a health risk.

It is not clear what condition the infants were in, when they were taken to Frere Hospital, one in a taxi sometime after noon and the second from the same taxi that was called back by the owner to bring a second child to the hospital.

As DispatchLIVE the crib on Visited Monday and Tuesday, it was normal .

About 20 children younger than five years played in the day nursery, which has no playground.

When contacted for a comment, he confirmed the “incidents” and that the day care center Cared for 30 children.

She didn’t want to comment on the registration status of the crèche or what had happened.

“This is a difficult time for us, but I’ll tell you all about it as soon as I get there I received autopsy reports from the police, “she said.

Ezam’s grieving father, Khanya Makhabane, said ,” This is painful because the woman [owner] doesn’t tell us what to do before my consignment Babies happened to the hospital and why she didn’t call an ambulance.

“She didn’t tell us that there was another child of the same age who came almost at the same time died. We won’t rest until we get answers. “

His wife Millie said,” I am devastated. It’s hard for me to go on because on the day the babies died, the crib was still open as if nothing had happened.

The woman never got the Bothered us about the news, instead we were called by a doctor at the hospital.

On arrival the doctor told us that the baby was already dead when it was came to the hospital.

He asked us if the child looked sick that morning and I said no because they were in a good mood when we left them there.”

The Ndongeni family buried their baby in Lusikisiki on Monday.

Grandmother Ncediswa Mqikela said: “We have a lot more questions than answers. This woman does not provide any information.

It is also questionable that the crèche was still in operation after the incidents.”

When visiting DispatchLIVE In At the day nursery on Monday, most of the children did not wear masks and played in the lounge area, while three supervisors went about their work in other parts of the building.

The women referred DispatchLIVE to the owner. On Tuesday, children could still be seen playing in the lounge. Nurses said the owner was unavailable.

Provincial police confirmed an investigation was being investigated.

Spokesman Brig Tembinkosi Kinana said the Makhabans were hospitalized at 4:30 p.m. last Tuesday

He said that the owner of the daycare was also in the hospital when the doctor reported the death to the parents.

Kinana said: “In another incident it is alleged that the grandmother of the six month old [toddler] received a call from her neighbor that she was not allowed to go to the crèche because the child was in the hospital.

“She rushed to the hospital and met her arrival a doctor who told her the child had already passed away.

“When she asked the headmistress, she said the child was healthy from the morning session and there was no sign of illness, but in the afternoon She noticed that the [child] was not moving.

“The child was admitted to the hospital rt and later reported as deceased. “