May 29, 2022

Mawazo Writing Africa

Writing about the main

Floods will not hamper KZN matric mid-year exams

Mid-year high school exams will not be affected by recent flooding in KwaZulu-Natal.

That’s the provincial Department of Education’s statement.

On Sunday, the ministry said measures had been taken taken to ensure credible exams.

About 630 schools were affected by the floods that hit the province last month

The exams start today and will last until June 23, for candidates repeating their National Senior Certificate (NSC) or Senior Certificate (SC).

The department said 36,850 candidates will write the exams. Half (18,453) are NSC repeater candidates and the rest (18,397) are SC candidates.

Department spokesman Muzi Mahlambi said: “The department has taken measures to ensure accident-free examinations when needed to keep up strictly following the education sector’s Standard Operating Procedures for preventing and dealing with Covid-19.

“Candidates without identification documents due to the flooding are allowed to write the exams as the department has a schedule for all registered candidates,” he said.

Education MEC Kwazi Mshengu said he was satisfied with the efforts his department made to manage the examination process.

“I am confident that the report I received that we are able and willing to take credible exams,” he said.

Mshengu appealed to the communities to support the candidates as much as possible and to ensure that the exams are not compromised in any way disturbed who den.

He urged proper preparation and hard work He urged candidates to respect the rules.

“My message to candidates is to always remember this should know that there is no substitute for hard work and following a good study plan. Don’t worry and always remember how important it is to follow the exam regulations. We wish you all the best.”

Support independent journalism by subscribing to The Sunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.