Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula visited the scene of a horrific head-on collision between a bus and a truck in Tshwane on Sunday that killed 15 people.
The accident happened just after 5am on Friday the M17 in Patryshoek, near the resort of Bundu Inn.
Forty-two people were injured, of whom 37 rushed to Dr. George Mukhari, Steve Biko and Kalafong were transported.< /p>
Mbalula spoke to the media at Dr. George Mukhari Hospital after speaking to some of the victims.
He said he had received the preliminary report and that both the truck and bus drivers had valid SA had driving licenses. Both died in the crash.
“Your nationality will be dealt with on Friday once the investigation is [completed].”
He thanked hospital staff and said some of the Those injured are in intensive care and some have been discharged to recover at home.
„I have seen the family where the husband and wife are both in the hospital. The woman is in intensive care and the man will be operated on this afternoon.”
Due to the accident, some families were now led by children.
“It is devastating and I will do whatever I can to help.”
Mbalula said he would do return to the hospital in the coming week to meet the families of the victims. Not all families had been informed that their loved ones were involved in the accident.
He warned motorists not to cut corners in the road.
“If people cut corners, there will be big challenges [in terms of deaths and injuries on the road].
“I’m not judging though I know that companies give trucks money [for tolls] to drive on the national highways and [I know] that truck drivers drive on the “back door roads” and they shouldn’t do that.
“Heavy trucks cause accidents, especially on smaller roads that are not designed for them.
“In [their] quest to save money, you can see accidents — not on roads open to trucks. They belong on national roads.”
He said, when he received the report about a truck on this road at the time: “I ask what it was Truck there – did he go to a nearby factory to unload?
“I have the preliminary report. I will provide full details of the report on Friday.”
The Road Accident Fund (RAF) would help victims.
RAF CEO Collins Letsoalo explained how the RAF was involved.
He said the benefits are divided into two categories: injury and death benefits.
Family of the deceased will receive the death suffer benefits, but in relation to the drivers, Letsoalo said that the driver who was found guilty would not be covered by the fund as the RAF only covers casualties.
“In this regard, the ‘Loss Assistance’ benefits the bereaved.
“The Funeral Grant reimburses the funeral expenses and pays seven days after the funeral [documents will be submitted].
“Injury benefits will benefit the more than 32 victims, including some of those discharged from hospital.”
He told the RAFe.g only applies to serious injuries.
This covers power loss, general damage and medical co. sts.
There are also so-called future medical benefits, which are paid for people who may not be able to take care of themselves and cover their own medical bills.
Letsoalo and Mbalula extend their condolences to the bereaved.
Support independent journalism by subscribing to The Sunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.