The government has denied prosecutors allegations that the Treasury Department is refusing to release funds earmarked to rebuild parts of KwaZulu-Natal that were devastated by floods last month.
Speaker Phumla Williams said the allegations are malicious and work is underway by the government to help communities rebuild.
Williams said the government is allocating aid on a phased approach, with the the first phase will include immediate humanitarian assistance and the second phase will include reconstruction and repairs.< /p>
President Cyril Ramaphosa and Finance Minister Enoch Godongwana announced last month that R1 billion would be spent on reconstruction provided by homes and infrastructure destroyed by torrential rains in the province.
Says in its press conference earlier this week e the public prosecutor’s office that the funds were no longer coming and that the municipalities affected would have to reprioritize their budgets for reconstruction.
However, Williams said a process must be followed before the funds can be released.
“The process involves Provinces and municipalities that apply for these funds from the National Disaster Management Center and Department of Human Settlements, who, after processing, refer them to the National Treasury. The funds will be available shortly after the National Treasury receives and processes an application.”
She assured South Africans that no one would be left behind in the reconstruction.
“Just over a month ago, severe flooding devastated parts of KwaZulu-Natal, the Eastern Cape and the North West. In all of these provinces, the government and all stakeholders have been working hard to recover from these tragic events. The Government is mobilizing all available resources and making every effort to ensure that the reconstruction leaves no one behind,” said Williams.
Support independent journalism by subscribing to Sunday Times. Only R20 for the first month.