National Police Commissioner Khehla Sitole and the presidency on Wednesday evening declined to resort to media reports suggesting that the country’s chief police officer had been sent a letter of intent to suspend him.
When TimesLIVE reached him by phone, Sithole said he couldn’t comment. “Talk to Vish Naidoo about it, I have spoken to him and he can comment,” he said.
National Police spokesman Brig Vish Naidoo said he could investigate the alleged do not acknowledge or reject notification.
Netwerk24 reported that President Cyril Ramaphosa sent the letter of intent to suspend Sitole.
President Tyrone Seale told TimesLIVE that he had no comment.
TimesLIVE reported in March that Sitole had come under fire since the Pretoria Supreme Court ruled that he and his deputies had “broken their duties” by contacting the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid ) had not provided and released documents to investigate allegations of fraud and corruption.
The battle between Sitole and Ipid centered on allegations of corruption and the refusal of the Po Police headed to release documents the watchdog needed for an investigation.
One of the allegations was about the procurement of a R45 million league-collecting tool known as a “grabber” that was used at the 2017 ANC election conference
Ramaphosa’s office told the Sunday Times at the time that the president was exercising his thoughts on a request from the Minister of Police. Bheki Cele is suspending Sitole.