As KwaZulu-Natal prepares for more storms Tuesday evening, the Provincial Cooperative Management and Traditional Affairs Department (Cogta) announced that recent storms destroyed 700 homes, affected nearly 11,000 people and claimed 24 lives.
Cogta said the estimated cost of the damage is R3.2 billion.
“Disaster management teams assess the extent of damage in communities where bad weather conditions have led to 205 incidents, including strong winds, lightning strikes, fires, heavy rains, building collapses and drowning.
“So far, 10,900 people from 2,068 households across the province have been affected. Seven hundred houses were destroyed. “
The ministry said the province typically experienced weather-related incidents during the summer season,” such as heavy rainfall resulting in local flooding, hail, severe thunderstorms and structural collapses “.
It is said that 18 people drowned and six were killed by lightning strikes.
“This number is expected to increase after the heavy thunderstorms this weekend. Disaster management teams consolidate this information and work with other government agencies.
“Affected communities have been asked to identify displaced communities for prioritization.
” The department has activated disaster response centers in all district communities, the common one Report to the operational committee to monitor and coordinate necessary interventions and assistance.
“The disaster control centers of the affected communities can determine appropriate remedial measures to provide additional support.”
The ministry said it have distributed relief supplies to the districts to be delivered to affected local communities.
“The ministry continues to work with NGOs to provide aid to affected communities.”
On Tuesday evening, severe storms expected, likely affecting Harry Gwala, uThukela, uMgungundlovu, uMzinyathi, Zululand and King Cetshwayo districts reefing.