The High Court in Pretoria has granted a request by attorney Zandile Mshololo to postpone the murder trial of Senzo Meyiwa so that she can study the contents of the second file, which was released last week.
Judge Tshifhiwa Maumela said the defendants were entitled to a fair and speedy trial.
“The fact brought to the table by Attorney Mshololois that she needs to address the contents of the second file,” he said.
< p >Mshololo, for five defendants, on Tuesday confronted her Defense Council colleagues about his conduct when he attempted to testify in court.
“That is very unfair and it is unprecedented in our law that when another defendant’s counsel is in the midst of cross-examination, another council should make a motion, whether it is a matter of jurisdiction or a violation of the Constitution. The turning point for my learned friend is coming,” she said.
Attorney Malesela Teffo, acting for defendants one through four, spoke in court for about two hours and wanted the indictment present testimony of a witness who was not on the stand.
Mshololo said, “At that point, he should have respected me and honored me with the opportunity had to complete my cross-examination before he could present his arguments.”
Teffo accused the court of overlooking his clients’ rights. He claimed there was a cover-up regarding the status of the second file.
A letter read into the file by the state on Monday reads Said the second file had no status and was “an internal statement by a junior prosecutor that has no merit.”
Meyiwa was shot at the home of his then-girlfriend, singer Kelly Khumalo , killed in Vosloorus on the East Rand in 2014.
Muzikawukhulelwa Sibiya, Bongani Sandiso Ntanzi, Mthobisi Prince Mncube, Mthokoziseni Maphisa and Sifisokuhle Nkani Ntuli were charged with murder. The five people are charged with first degree murder, attempted murder, robbery in aggravated circumstances, possession of a firearm without a license and illegal possession of ammunition.
They have all pleaded not guilty.
The case was adjourned to July 12 for arguments on the second file, and the trial itself was adjourned to September 5.< /p>
Support independent journalism by subscribing to the Sunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.
Public protector’s office dealt a blow as inquiry hears damning evidence from former Sars executive
Cuba expels SA medical student for ‘kidnapping’ two women
R93m Transnet corruption case postponed to August