Oct 4, 2022

Mawazo Writing Africa

Writing about the main

One of the 53 military veterans arrested for allegedly holding cabinet ministers hostage has died

One of 53 military veterans arrested last year on charges of cabinet minister hostage-taking has died.

War veterans of the SA Liberation Struggle (LSWV-SA) said Nonhlanhla Masedi Dhlamini died after they had been in and out of a coma in different hospitals.

“SA liberation war veterans are deeply saddened by their deaths and convey to their family, friends and comrades in the mass democratic movement, fraternal organizations and other liberation movements . We wish her family strength and courage at this difficult moment,” said LSWV-SA spokeswoman Mduduzi Chiyi.

TimesLIVE previously reported that Modise, her deputy Thabang Makwetla and Minister in the Presidency Mondli Gungubele are allegedly involved were prevented from leaving the country a meeting at a hotel in Tshwane.

Police intervened after veterans barricaded the doors with chairs and refused to allow the three out.

According to the Sunday Times, their demands included payment of R4.2 million for each of the 9,000 veterans, at a total cost of over R37 billion.

Police initially arrested 56 people, three of whom were released because they were were identified as employees.

All defendants face 27 counts: one count of conspiracy to kidnap and 26 counts of kidnapping.

All 53 arrested veterans have been released on bail unperturbed.

Chiyi accused Dhlamini of being arrested with her other 52 comrades and of “ongoing complications from a flashbang attack,” leading to further health complications.

“She is a Victims of the brutality of those in power who have forgotten their role in the liberation struggle. She died in battle, she doesn’t know the democracy that’s being talked about. She never tasted the fruits of the revolution she fought for,” he said.

He said Dhlamini, affectionately known as Ntsoaki, dedicated himself to the selfless struggle for liberation.

< p>“She was a courageous and principled leader of SA liberation combat war veterans who demonstrated a worthy cause by fighting first for liberation and democratic order and recently for the plight of all SA combat war veterans,” he said.

Meanwhile, the veterans will be back before Pretoria Magistrates Court for their case on May 17th.

Support independent journalism by using the Subscribe to Sunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.