Aug 18, 2022

Mawazo Writing Africa

Writing about the main

Police launch manhunt for armed gang in Soweto tavern massacre

A gang of men armed with rifles and 9mm pistols entered a tavern in Orlando East in the early hours of Sunday and allegedly opened fire on unsuspecting patrons.

Police spokesman Col Dimakatso Sello said, Police have launched a manhunt for the suspects after what appeared to be a random exchange of fire at the tavern in the informal settlement of Nomzamo, which left 14 dead and nine injured.

“It is reported that around 00.00 on Sunday :30 a.m. a group of men armed with rifles and 9mm pistols entered the tavern and began firing randomly at the patrons sitting inside.

“23 people were shot dead, 12 of whom remain were pronounced dead at the scene, while 11 were rushed to a nearby hospital. Two others were later pronounced dead in hospital.”

Sello said 14 cases of murder and nine cases of attempted murder had been opened.

Gauteng Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Elias Mawela, has condemned the incident and urged investigators investigating the case to “pull out all the stops to ensure the perpetrators are apprehended and held accountable.” of the suspects is urgently requested to contact the criminal police on 08600 10111 or via a note in the MySAPS app. All information received will be kept strictly confidential.

Support independent journalism by subscribing to The Sunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.