Two suspects arrested in connection with the shooting at a tavern in Sweetwaters, Pietermaritzburg, on Saturday night that left four dead have been released.
Two men are said to have entered Sakhi’s tavern which opened Fire at guests, hitting at least 12 people. Two died at the scene and two died later.
A police source close to the investigation, speaking to TimesLIVE on Wednesday, said the charges had been dropped because there was insufficient evidence to justify their detention.
“There are many leads we are following and I can assure you there will be arrests.”
Lieutenant Colonel Nqobile Gwala confirmed their release and said the men were first interrogated and later released.
The couple, who were arrested on Monday, are believed to have been seen leaving the tavern shortly after the shooting.
KwaZulu-Natal Police Commissioner Lt-General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi confirmed Tuesday that police had made arrests.
He said police were able to locate the vehicle used in the crime and that further arrests were imminent.< /span>
< p>In between At the time, the KwaZulu-Natal Alcohol Board said it would soon release the results of an investigation to determine whether there had been any violations of alcohol license terms.
Acting CEO Bheki Mbanjwa visited the tavern after the shooting on Sunday accompanied by the compliance and enforcement team. He said one of the license requirements is to ensure security for customers.
Support independent journalism by supporting theSunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.