adv. Malesela Teffo, who represented four of the defendants in Senzo Meyiwa’s murder trial, had tongue-tied Tuesday after claiming a plan had been hatched in President Cyril Ramaphosa’s office to get him out of the trial.
< p >Teffo told the Pretoria High Court that he was retiring as counsel in the case. He was weary of the “harassment” he suffered during the case.
He claimed the state and Judge Tshifhiwa Maumela were also part of the “clique” wanting him removed from the case is being held.
Teffo was arrested in April, shortly after the trial was adjourned. He was handcuffed, removed from court and taken to Hillbrow Police Station.
He had previously been arrested on charges of combined assault and trespassing after allegedly assaulting a female SAPS member and the SAPS provincial building in Gauteng of a High Court Interdict.
After failing to appear before Hillbrow Magistrate’s Court on several occasions, including January 27, an arrest warrant was issued but withheld. The case was remanded to February 10.
Teffo did not stand trial and bail became the property of the state. An order was issued to execute the warrant.
This week he told the Pretoria High Court that while he was withdrawing from representing four of the five accused, he would continue his surveillance on behalf of the Meyiwa family, as he was appointed by Sfiso Meyiwa, Senzo’s brother.
“I am a human being. i have emotions I have feelings. I deserve and demand respect. The reason I can no longer be in court and face you [is because] there are serious allegations where you are the number one defendant,” Teffo said.
The case has been moved to April 2 August postponed to make room for the four accused Time to find a new legal representative.
Support independent journalism by subscribing to The Sunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.
Public protector’s office dealt a blow as inquiry hears damning evidence from former Sars executive
Cuba expels SA medical student for ‘kidnapping’ two women
R93m Transnet corruption case postponed to August