The latest crime statistics show a daily “violent bloodbath” in the country, with an average of 67 people murdered per day for the first three months of the year, prosecutors said on Friday.
There were between January and March 6,083 murders committed.
DA MP Andrew Whitfield said: “That’s more than 67 murders a day. There were 10,818 rapes in the same period, meaning that 153 people were raped every day.”
Breaking down some of the other reported numbers, he said between January and March:
- 32,783 robberies in aggravated circumstances (364 per day)
- 3,306 hijackings, 109.2% more than in the previous period (36.7 per day)
- 5,402 car hijackings (60 per day)
- 547 attempted rapes, 26.3% more than last year (six per day)
- 21.5 children were violently assaulted every day
“Prosecutors believe that [Police] Minister [Bheki] Cele has proven time and time again why he is unfit to serve in his position and yet, despite overwhelming evidence of Minister Cele’s failure, President [ Cyril] Ramaphosa him in Cabinet,” said Whitfield.
Support independent journalism by subscribing to The Sunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.