The search and rescue operation for a six-year-old boy who fell into a manhole in Soweto Sunday afternoon was called off Monday evening and will resume Tuesday at 8:00 am.
The boy slipped into the well in Dlamini, Soweto, while playing with friends over the weekend.
Johannesburg Water said the incident was reported to it on Monday, while it reportedly happened between 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. on Sunday happened
Officials committed to covering the manhole on Monday.
Teams from the Johannesburg Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and the police conducted search and rescue operations.
Thembeka Magadla, a relative of the boy, told eNCA they only found out what happened to the boy on Monday morning.
She said the boy’s siblings and their friends remained silent, afraid of what was happening was.
Aloud to the children, Magadla said that a board was placed over the open shaft had been. The boy reportedly climbed the plank and jumped on it, causing it to break and the boy falling into it.
Johannesburg’s Environmental and Infrastructure Services MMC Michael Sun said he will monitor the situation and Make sure no resources are spared during the rescue or recovery operation.
Support independent journalism by subscribing to The Sunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.