Jan 27, 2023

Mawazo Writing Africa

Writing about the main

State forensics witness made ‘contradictory statements’ about Senzo Meyiwa murder crime scene

A state forensic witness at the Senzo Meyiwa murder trial has given conflicting testimonies about his visit to the scene.

Sgt. Thabo Mosiah, in an affidavit issued in 2019 – five years after the murder – said he had visited a hospital before going to the scene in October 2014.

“The incident at the scene was reported four hours after reported the murder. All the delays in investigating the murder may have endangered the crime scene,” the affidavit reads.

However, in his statement, he said he went to the police station first and did not suspect that it was there was any tampering or contamination of the crime scene.

Former Bafana Bafana goalkeeper Meyiwa was gunned down in Vosloorus, east of Johannesburg, in the presence of his friend Kelly Khumalo, her mother, in what has been described as a botched robbery Ntombi, sister Zandi, Zandi’s boyfriend at the time, Longwe Twala and his friends Mthokozisi Twala and Tumelo Madlala.

Muzikawukhulelwa Sibiya, Bongani Sandiso Ntanzi, Mthobisi Prince Mncube, Mthokoziseni Maphisa and Sifisokuhle Nkani Ntuli were charged with first degree murder, attempted Murder, robbery in aggravated circumstances, possession of firearms without a license, and possession of ammunition.

They all pleaded guilty before the Pretori High Court a not guilty.

In the affidavit Mosiah said he received a call from a brig Ndlovu about a shooting. “Around 11.45pm I received a phone call where [the caller] identified himself as Brig Ndlovu … [who] directed me to go to Botshelong Hospital.

“I arrived at the scene in Vosloorus at 12:20 am on October 27, where I met Brig Ndlovu,” he said.

Mosia asked Ndlovu how many suspects were involved, how many shots had been fired, and when the incident took place, among other things .


“According to the information I received, on October 26 at around 8 p.m., two African men entered the house. A well-known soccer player was shot dead and taken to Botshelong Hospital but died on arrival,” he said.

In previous testimonies to the court, however, Mosia said that after being called by Ndlovu, he was from there Went to Vosloorus Police Station where he was escorted to the crime scene. He said Ndlovu instructed him to go to the crime scene without giving the address. He told the court he went to the police station to get the address.

Mosiah had also stated in his earlier testimonies that he had no suspicion that the crime scene had been tampered with or contaminated.< /p >

Support independent journalism by subscribing to The Sunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.