Dec 4, 2022

Mawazo Writing Africa

Writing about the main

Stellenbosch University student arrested for alleged rape, police probe ‘sexual assault incident’ at UCT

The University of Stellenbosch (SU) said Thursday it would suspend a student’s housing rights pending the outcome of internal and criminal investigations following the alleged rape of a student on campus.

The university said the The alleged perpetrator was arrested on Wednesday.

“It must be noted that this is now a criminal matter and the law will take its course,” it added.

The university – who is also investigating two alleged racist incidents – said the victim is being cared for and is safe.

“Yesterday she opened a rape case against the perpetrator with SAPS who accompanied her to Stellenbosch Provincial Hospital , where she was examined and also received the necessary medication, care and initial consultation.

“The victim has not yet reported the incident to the SU Equality Body, but she has been informed of the various possibilities abilities informed how an incident may occur can be reported internally. She is supported in this,” the university said.

“I endorse the university’s strict zero-tolerance approach to gender-based violence,” said Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Strategy, Global and Corporate Affairs Prof Hester Klopper.< /p>

“Human dignity must and will continue to be a non-negotiable matter at Stellenbosch University, to be respected, safeguarded and restored where affected, regardless of the transgression and without fear of or favoritism of any alleged offender. she said.

UCT dormitory protest over ‘GBV culture’

In another incident, the SRC blamed the University of Cape Town (UCT), the management, the students at Roscommon House, an off-campus residence that has seen protests against gender-based violence. Eleven students there have been accused of being sex offenders and homophobes.

“The GBV culture at Roscommon has so far stretched due to the residence’s alienation from other UCT residences. It was clear that the university leadership had consistently failed to protect and ensure the safety of the students and survivors at home,” the SRC said raised by a series of anonymous tweets, university spokesman Elijah Moholola said an allegation of sexual misconduct was being investigated by the SAPS Based on the information shared via the tweets, it appears that this is related to an ongoing matter being jointly addressed by certain government departments in cooperation with the UCT. The independent investigation must be completed,” Moholola said.

He said the provincial health department was also investigating the matter.

“The student was offered support at the university and referred to relevant external organizations. The student is free not to use these services.”

Moholola said the alleged perpetrator was a joint employee of the provincial health department and UCT – an arrangement governed by a bilateral agreement.

“UCT does not have and will not pay legal fees to anyone involved in this or any other legal case. UCT is not at liberty to discuss this further publicly but can state that the matter will be considered and reviewed by the relevant and appropriate independent investigative bodies.”

Limpopo TVET students “assaulted and robbed”

In a third development, police in Namakgale, outside Phalaborwa in the Limpopo, have launched a manhunt for two suspects who allegedly broke into rooms rented by TVET College students, robbed them at gunpoint and later raped one in the den early Wednesday morning and left her tied up in the bush while police investigations are ongoing.

The students, aged 23 and 27, were reportedly asleep in a room just after midnight when they were allegedly stunned by the sound of a The door was forced open.

“Two men wearing face masks broke into the room and demanded money at gunpoint and cell phones. After taking a cellphone, the suspects ordered the victims to escort them to the nearest bushes, where they allegedly began attacking them, demanding money and more cellphones. One of the suspects went back into the room to take more items,” Mojapelo said.

Mojapelo said both suspects allegedly raped the 27-year-old victim, tied up both victims, and left the scene.

p>

The victims managed to untie themselves and when they got to their room, they found two cell phones, cash, identification documents, a Nike gym bag, a red gym bag, a jersey and blankets missing.< /p>

The provincial police commissioner, Lt. Gen. Thembi Hadebe, has urged community members to help the police track down the suspects.

Support independent journalism by sharing the Subscribe to the Sunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.