Former people’s protector Thuli Madonsela was not surprised by the Constitutional Court’s ruling to resume the nomination process for candidates for local elections.
On Monday, the Supreme Court rejected the prosecutor’s motion to call the independent elections Resumption of the nomination process by the Commission (IEC) as unconstitutional, unlawful and invalid.
Madonsela said that while the law is open to interpretation, the powers of the commission are clear Management of the elections.
“While we are going to court because there are always multiple possible interpretations of the law, I personally thought that the law allowed the IEC to exercise discretion in managing the Choices are clear elections. Accordingly, today’s ruling by the Constitutional Court does not surprise me, ”Madonsela tweeted on Monday.
The court had previously ordered the commission to suspend the possibility of arresting a voter registration weekend before the Elections that will take place on November 1st.
The Supreme Court decided that the election must take place between October 27th and November 1st.
The IEC has one voter determined registration weekend could take place and the application process for candidates was reopened as part of this process. This gave the ANC a much-needed lifeline as it failed to register some of its candidates who will vote in the elections. Prosecutors said Monday they stand by their claims that the IEC is in favor of the. ANC acted to reopen candidate registration, with party leader John Steenhuisen promising to keep a close eye on the commission.