Jan 20, 2022

Mawazo Writing Africa

Writing about the main

Top matric achievers and parents have to give consent to attend results event

It is unclear whether all 27 of the top 27 from last year’s high school exams will be attending an event next week where the results will be published, as students and their parents have to agree.

< p> This follows a message from the spokesman for the Ministry of Basic Education, Elijah Mhlanga, who confirmed this week that media houses can no longer publish matriculation results due to the Personal Data Protection Act (Popia). .

The move signals the end of the tradition that on the eve of the results being published, students fearfully wait in front of newspaper houses and on street corners to get a copy of the newspaper.

A January 10 notice stated that the division recognizes that everyone has the right to privacy under Section 14 of the Constitution.

“This right to privacy includes a right to protection against the unlawful collection, storage, dissemination and use of personal online information.

“ In order to comply with the provisions of To comply with Popia, the common practice of publishing the results of the National Senior Certificate (NSC) on public platforms [media platforms] will not occur in 2021, ”the announcement states.

At a briefing on Tuesday about the state of readiness of the ministry for 2022, the deputy minister of education Reginah Mhaule said that Popia was responsible for the 27 top performers.

“It’s easy to get consent because it’s a very small number and I believe your parents are looking forward to it too. Every student wants to be seen as better in the country, “she said.

” If approval is negative, it remains negative. “

The department’s director general, Mathanzima Mweli, said Popia was dictating that the department must follow certain procedures “that we currently cannot follow”.

One of them also to obtain the consent of the students and their parents or guardians before the personal data of the students can be disclosed.

Large number of students not yet accommodated

In the meantime, it turned out that Gauteng was able to place 86% of the applicants looking for an internship at a school.

Mweli said, that part of the problem with internships had to do with parents’ preferences for a particular school.

“Understandably, parents want their child to go to the best school nong. Our challenge and responsibility is to ensure that all of our schools meet our parents’ expectations and requirements, ”he said.

According to the department, the number of unserved students is in the provinces are:

  • Gauteng: 276.030;
  • Eastern Cape: 1.898;
  • Free State: 17,712;
  • KwaZulu-Natal: 1,406;
  • Limpopo: 1,905; < / span>
  • Mpumalanga: 6,458;
  • North Cape: 86,553;
  • Northwest : 9,529; and
  • Western Cape: 19,783.

A deputy general director of the department, Simone Geyer, on the challenges Regarding housing, the following were included:

  • Informal settlements that arise around established communities due to the influx of rural to urban areas present a challenge as they are difficult predicting is expected numbers before the new year.
  • English middle schools, considered “better quality”, face the annual challenge of managing and considering all applications received.
  • Insufficient schools in urban areas and demand for places in elective schools.
  • Tensions between the rights of school administrations to increase admission policies determine within the meaning of the SA School Act and the right of parents to access education at schools of their choice; and
  • In provinces where students are admitted on a first-come, first-served basis, local students who do not apply in good time experience difficulties with placement.

She said that in preparation for the reopening of schools, the ministry had identified risk areas and asked the provinces to take remedial action.

The focus was on new schools, renovations and repairs as well as storm-damaged and destroyed schools.

Elementary Education Minister Angie Motshekga said that rotation learning will continue as the Ein -Meter-Social The distance regulations in the classroom continued to apply.

“We have encouraged schools that are able to accommodate students with a smaller social distance of one meter to to do this. “

She said she had the national coronavirus comman Dorat submitted an application last year to reduce the social distancing requirement from 1.5m to half a meter, but that was not the case when the concession was granted. Instead, it was reduced to one meter.

Last year only 80% of the students returned to class all day.

“We also know that there are schools that, according to the protocol, cannot accept more students. We have asked the provinces to work on providing infrastructure for schools that were technically overcrowded before Covid-19. “

Given the country’s decision, Motshekga said,” Accept Life”. Side by side with the virus, “They will again appeal to the Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs to reduce social distancing to half a meter.

” We cannot just announce To say ‘ voetstoots skool toe ‘ to every child tomorrow. It’s a process we need to negotiate. ”

Schools in the inland provinces – Gauteng, the Free State, Limpopo, Mpumalanga and the Northwest – will open on Wednesday and reopened for coastal provinces – KwaZulu-Natal, Eastern Cape, Northern Cape, and Western Cape – on January 19th.