Two men are to appear in Durban Regional Court for allegedly seeking a multi-million rand life insurance payout for a person who turned out to be alive.
Hawks spokesman Capt Simphiwe Mhlongo told the couple, aged 33 and 45, were due to appear in court in July on insurance fraud charges.
“It is alleged that the 33-year-old suspect bought life insurance for R6 .5 million has applied for. Three months later, the 45-year-old beneficiary filed a lawsuit alleging the insured person was dead. The insurance company was suspicious and investigated the matter.”
“It was determined that the allegedly deceased person was alive and a fraud case was reported to Berea Police Department.”
Mhlongo said the case file had been assigned to a Hawks Serious Economic Crimes Investigation Team in Durban for further investigation.
“You were served with a summons [to appear in court] on May 10 and are expected to appear on July 5.”
Support independent journalism by subscribing to The Sunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.