The owner of the Enyobeni tavern in Scenery Park, east London, where at least 20 patrons mysteriously died in the early hours of Sunday morning, is reportedly devastated by the incident.
Security of the Eastern Cape Municipality, MEC Weziwe Tikana-Gxothiwe said: “I have met with him and he is very devastated. He said he couldn’t figure out how the incident happened.”
Tikana-Gxothiwa told eNCA the tavern owner has since been advised to close his business pending a full investigation and has been completed.
“It has welcomed the council and will close until further notice,” Tikana-Gxothiwe said.
Police are always aware of the circumstances surrounding the early morning mass deaths still unclear.
Eastern Cape Police spokesman Brig Tembinkosi Kinana said detectives were at the scene trying to piece together the events.
Kinana said a press release would be issued later on Sunday but the initial investigation showed that 20 people had died in the incident.
The victims who died were between 18 and 20 years old, he said, putting a stop to speculation that the revelers were minors.
< p>The Daily Dispatch reported that family members used the Ver thought their children were among the victims were gathered outside the tavern but were not allowed on the premises,
The publication Initial speculation was that the guests had been exposed to some form of poison, as none of the Bodies they could see had visible injuries in the middle of a conversation. Other bodies were seen slumped in chairs and lying across tables.
Tikana-Gxothiwa said it was “a sad day for the province.” On February 22, she stated that 17 people died at the scene, while three others died in hospital.
Two remained in hospital in critical condition.
The families of the deceased were not there yet to identify them.
Tikana-Gxothiwa said that families who believed their children were among the victims were taken to the morgue for identification and said it would be messy to do so to do at the scene.
Police Minister Bheki Cele was on his way to the Eastern Cape to join other government officials, including Prime Minister Oscar Mabuyane, who was already there.
This is an evolving story.
Support independent journalism by subscribing to The Sunday Times. Only 20 R for the first month.