KwaZulu-Natal Prime Minister Sihle Zikalala has accused some NGOs of allegedly not delivering on their promises to help with the province’s recovery and reconstruction.
The ad The Flood Disaster Relief and Recovery Joint hoc Committee visited KwaDukuza Municipality over the weekend, where it received a briefing from Zikalala and Mayor Lindile Nhaca >
He said that many civil society organizations receive money from the government to support communities affected by the disaster, but they are not visible on the ground and their reports do not reflect what they do to pretend to do.
“Much has been said, but what has been said finds no public expression. The government should appear incapable of sustaining resources and accountability. Many of these NPOs and NGOs received money to help people, but nothing was delivered locally,” Zikalala said.
“Some organizations say they are busy with the work are, but what they do is not what they promised or published. Some have started sending us reports and you see what they claim is not what they deliver.”
Zikalala said he had the SA – Human Rights Commission asked to make an assessment of what civil society organizations have promised to do about what they have been doing.
“We are doing this so that we are all transparent about what we do,” he said.
< p>Last month the KwaZulu-Natal governmentestablished a donation account for disaster relief, with Patrice Motsepe R30 million donated.
The UN Development Program SA last week pledged to ensure that KwaZulu-Natal’s flood funds are properly spent after increasing R21 million of their flood relief budget were reassigned.
The panel said it would work with non-governmental organizations and communities.
< p>He assured SA that the money would not be misused or mismanaged.
“We want to assure people the real-time monitoring of the fund’s resources and impact is very important,” said Odusola.
“We use a multi-stakeholder approach, which is not only about the government but also about civil society and the communities themselves, which fully are involved.”
Support independent journalism by subscribing to The Sunday Times. Only R20 for the first month.
Public protector’s office dealt a blow as inquiry hears damning evidence from former Sars executive
Cuba expels SA medical student for ‘kidnapping’ two women
R93m Transnet corruption case postponed to August